The Greatest Sound
"An empty vessel makes the greatest sound"

All work, no play

  Prior to coming up here, I guess I never really wrapped my brain around the idea of working 12-14 hour days for 25 days straight... its fully wrapped now.  


   Tomorrow will mark one full week that I've been up here in Canuck country and I've done pretty much NOTHING by way of sightseeing, shopping, dining out, etc. in this gorgeous city.  I have a mountain of laundry forming in the corner of my luxurious digs at the Best Western.  I've had to fight for time to eat, exercise and even use the bathroom at times.  But, its all worth the amazing experience that I am getting behind the scenes here at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games... I've spent my days watching world-class athletes practicing their crafts, made friends with my co-workers from around the world (let's see... there are people sitting next to me from Scotland, Spain and Australia right now, just to name a few) and I'm learning invaluable knowledge that I can only imagine will further my career more than I can even grasp right now.  So, all in all, the 15 hour day that I worked yesterday wasn't really that bad.  


  Most of my time has been split between the IBC (big, beautiful glass building on the water) and this place:



The Pacific Coliseum

It lies just east of downtown, so my cameraman, Ken, and I are fortunate to have been issued a car (Buick Enclave I think.. a small SUV).  It sits on a fairgrounds-type area which also has an amusement park - which is closed for the winter and a thoroughbred horse racing track.  The views are beautiful - of the bridge to North Vancouver and Grouse and Cypress Mountains. Here are a few shots from the parking lot, unfortunately, the view is blocked by street lights, etc. 


 

The run to the left is Grouse.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Shakespeare voices this phrase through the title character in Henry V, but it is believed to have originated from a similar Plato quote, "As empty vessels make the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest blabbers." In religion, one is often told to be a vessel - a willing mind ready to receive. Many religious philosophers encouraged followers to "be empty". In pop culture, however, the same term is considered an insult. The "empty vessel approach" in philosophy shows stupidity or a lack of motivation... Like the phrase, my blog is a little tongue-in-cheek, neither great, nor a sound. But then again, I'm just an empty vessel.